Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hungry Like a Wolf

Every time my friend from high school, TLY, used to come over to my house, she'd walk in the front door, say hello to me, and then to my parents, and ask, "Whatcha got to eat in here?"

She'd open the pantry door and crouch down to see what was on the bottom shelf. Every time, she'd select the Bite Size Sourdough Pretzels. Or she'd stand on her tippy toes to see what was on the top shelf. Cereal. She'd always go for either Bite Size Frosted Mini Wheats or the generic Cocoa Rice Krispies. Which were appropriately named, Cocoa Munchies.

These stories don't get old for TLY or my father. Or me, actually. That girl could eat for days.

I've been feeling a lot like TLY today. Because I have had the munchies all damn day. But not the cocoa kind, or any other kind of muchie that could be considered fun. Today, I can't seem to get full. I've been eating all day. Protein. Fiber. Fat. Other complex carbohydrates. I've consumed them alone and all together. Every couple of hours... Every couple of minutes. And I've washed it all down with copious amounts of water. GALLONS, even!

And yet, I am still hungry. Really effing hungry. Even now, at 11:12 PM. I am starving. I'd eat something else, but you see, I'm out of food!

It was a pretty big day, I guess. 13 official miles of movement logged. 1 mile to the gym. 7 miles of 800 repeats. 1 mile from the gym back home, uphill, because I forgot to pack a bra to wear to work. (And while I'm kicking ass on the job, I'm not kicking nearly enough ass to show up without strapping in the twins.) 2 miles to work. Who knows how many miles running around the office. Then 2 miles home, uphill. And seven or eight trips up and down the stairs doing laundry.

Seriously, what do wolves eat?

8 comments:

running42k said...

According to this site
Wolves are carnivores (meat eaters) but they will eat other foods as well. Their diet ranges from big game, such as elk and moose, to earthworms, berries and grasshoppers.
http://www.wolfweb.com/diet.html

That is the thing about marathon training. You can't fill up! Long run days I spend three times my run time eating.

pookalu said...

i always have the munchies. i can't help it.

man, thanks, now i have the munchies.

Habeela said...

And you're more hungry than tired? Amazing!

Cliff said...

Ha, I use the hungry excuse to eat junk food. I just got to the office this morning and i am still hungry. I had two bagels w/ PB and stomach still complains.

I got some jelly beams in my swim bag (i use jelly beams instead of gel for those morning swim). Hmm it sure taste good and filling :).

I hear wolf eat lambs...lamb chop sures sound good.

Joe said...

> Bite Size Frosted Mini Wheats

Frosted Mini Wheats....mmmmmmnnnnnn.

"Whole wheat goodness, on one side, light frosting on the other! That's what makes the crunchy wheat, nicely sweet!" (Or something like that...)

Unknown said...

Nobody else in my family understands why I eat all day long. I am glad there are others out there and I am not alone.

walchka said...

Little children? ;)

I was shocked when I was doing my first 1/2 marathon and I got tired of eating. This was a first for me and a bit alarming. It's all just part of the game when you are using so many calories.

a.maria said...

yeah i'm with everyone else. all that running around, your body's burning more calories.

so eat woman! and enjoy! :)