Friday, May 12, 2006

Mr. Blue Sky

I slept with my window open last night, so by 6:00 a.m. the 1 California Bus was busy making runs down my street, the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-ing too hard to ignore any longer. I slunk out of bed, and quietly crept to the kitchen. While waiting for my oatmeal, I stretched.

I geared up and headed out the door and down the street. 6:22 A.M. Taking long strides down the hill to really stretch out my hip flexors. By the time I made it to the Polk Street Basin, my heart was starting to pound. Not so much from the exercise, as from the fear out of what I was about to find out next. After I queued the playlist. And started the watch. And sprung off...

"Sun is shinin' in the sky... There ain't a cloud in sight... It's stopped rainin' ev'rybody's in a play... And don't you know... It's a beautiful new day hey, hey!"

Especially when your hip doesn't hurt!

"Runnin' down the avenue, (Pant, Pant, Pant)... See how the sun shines brightly... In the city on the streets... Where once was pity...Mr. Blue Sky is living here today."

I headed down Polk towards Bay, then a left and out to the Marina. Through Krissy Field and out to Fort Point, under the Golden Gate Bridge. I know I say this all the time, but really, the red of that bridge against the bluest of skies... Well, it doesn't get old. And for a moment, right before I touch Hopper's Hands to mark my half-way turn-around point, I wonder if anything is more beautiful than this bridge above this water and these rocks. Before these mountains and beneath this sky.

This beautiful blue sky.

- "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra. From the album, Out of the Blue. And the soundtrack from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

STATS:

  • 8.5 miles round trip in 75 minutes for 8:49 average pace.
  • I know, it's too fast... But it felt fabulous!
  • On another note, time to retire these shoes... They've reached 293 miles. Wonder if they are the culprit to my hip issues on Tuesday? I alternate with a pair that's only got 140 miles on them, so I don't know. But I'd rather blame them than my crappy stretch job Monday morning!

6 comments:

Habeela said...

Yay for runs without hip pain! Hope it continues.

walchka said...

Glad to hear that your hip behaved itself today. woot woot

Ah blue skies. We haven't seen them in a couple of days so I'll have to go off of your description. :)

Mike said...

Sometimes the beauty is overwhelming isn't it?
Glad to hear the hip is turning around.
That's a great movie and a great soundtrack

Cliff said...

Glad to hear the hip is back working again :).

Blame the shoes?..i think u just wanna have another reason to get a new pair of shoes :D (I know i do.)

Brooke said...

Glad your hip is feeling better.
Sounds like you need to go shopping though. What a bummer, (she says sarcastically)

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear the hip is treating you well! I know how the weather and sun can make a huge difference in how you run...mentally. Believe me, running can be mentally challenging when you have to run in the wind and cold we get in ND!