Monday, May 15, 2006

Go Big Sur

This weekend marked another Phase Five first - CAMPING.

I have never been camping before this weekend. As someone who really enjoys spending a large percentage of her time outdoors running, walking, hiking, and even drinking, I find it odd that in my twentysix years, I have never once slept outdoors. Overnight. In a tent.

Until this weekend, that is. In Pfeiffer State Park, in Big Sur, about 150 miles south of San Francisco.

After my 22 miler on Sunday, I packed up the car. With my roommate's kick-ass backpack and tent. (And head lamp!) And I drove down the 101 to California's Highway 1. Winding back and forth and along the curves and then up and down over the rolling hills. Past Santa Cruz. And through Monterey and Carmel. Swerving and weaving.

And smiling. Because it was just like I imagined it would be. The way Dave Eggers said it was. With sky above and ocean below. And those soft, tall, green hills in the middle. And in the end, all I can say is what he said:

"...can you see this motherfucking sky? i mean, have you ever fucking been to california?"

(Take a look if you haven't...)

7 comments:

Brooke said...

Beautiful pictures. It looks like you had a great time.

So let me get this straight, you ran 22 miles and then went hiking?? You remain my hero.

Cliff said...

...girl..u haven't camp before... :)

The pics were very nice. Great scenery.

Jay said...

You've never been camping? That's hella crazy yo.

walchka said...

Sounds like a really nice little getaway. The drive up the coast is so nice. As always some very nice pics from your 1st camping trip…

a.maria said...

oh. my. god.

you've never been CAMPING?! are you serious?!!!! WTF?! camping is one of my all-time fave things to do!

very very glad you got to experience it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pics. It has been years since I have been in that area and the pictures tell me that I should get back there someday soon.

Nice job on getting through the 22 miler.

Mike said...

I'm jealous....Monterey is my old stomping grounds and I spent alot of time in Big Sur but never got around to camping out there. Great pics too!