Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

A few things about me.

1) If I dont' think I can finish something, I don't normally start it. Because...
2) I'm not that good at quitting.

The first time I ever quit a job I cried. Even though I was moving onto a better job, I hated leaving the one I had. The next time I quit a job, I cried BEFORE I quit. A lot. But not during the actual resignation announcement. (An improvement!)

I don't quit on my friends, either. To a sickening degree, I think. Not as much now that I'm better at picking friends, I guess. My friends now deserve me not quitting them. But some of the ones from the past? Friends of the boy variety, for instance... Well, I could have afforded to quit them much sooner than I did. Hell, I could still afford to quit some of them now.

But I'm not ready, still. (Sigh)

So, I like to think that not finishing my planned 7 miles tonight does not make me a quitter. Because I only stopped early when it was too impossible to ignore the shriek being produced by The Left Hip. The quiet eeek that began to screech at mile 2.25, which prompted me to seriously slow down. And the not so quiet piercing EEEEEEEEEEEEEK that yelped at mile 4 that prompted me to walk.

No, that was not quitting. Right? (Sigh)

Yesterday The Left Hip was singing. Scatting. Yodeling, even. I wish I knew what set her off tonight...

8 comments:

running42k said...

Quitter, no way.

Stretch that hip out. Yoga away on it. Your body will thank you in twenty years from now.

walchka said...

You are definitely not a quitter. You’re just being smart and listening to your body like any good athlete. I hope your hip quiets down. Maybe time for a DTM?

Joe said...

Sounds painful! I hope your hip is feeling better soon.

Brooke said...

Nic, I totally do not think you are a quitter. If you need to take it easy, better to do it now than at mile 13 of your marathon.

Hope you are feeling better soon. It seems like Mike has some good advice for you.

Cliff said...

Girl,

This morning walking around the house and crack. I pulled a muscle somewhere deep in my left hip socket. Long run cancel. Nuts.

Instead I did a 1 k swim using a pull buoy :). Gotta do something.

R.E.M. Borja said...

You're not a quitter. You were just being smart. Most people don't know when to say when, and you certainly do. Besides you should be tapering anyway.

To make you feel better, I was going to run 3 miles today at the gym but had to stop after a mile when the muscle on my right shin got really stiff and was affecting my running stride. One lousy mile.

I hope your hip feels better soon.

Mike said...

Why do the nagging aches / pains always surface when we're on the final stretch!?!
No worries though...you did the smart thing by scaling back that workout. The priority is hitting the start line healthy (immike has some great suggestions above)- don't take any risks now. You've done all the hard work...focus on your taper!

Unknown said...

Nic,

If that hip keeps bothering you and is in serious pain I would not ignore it. Hip fractures are serious business and can sideline runners for months. I have a friend who got a hip fracture in October and is still not back to running quite yet. I am hopefully over-reacting, but just thought I would mention it.