Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Playground

They conglomerated in the parking lot. One huddle here, and another over there. Chatting and stretching, the scene resembled Adult Recess. And I found myself The New Girl figuring out how to make some friends on the playground.

7:45 a.m. sharp, the whistles blew. (Figuratively.) Recess commenced, and we were off! Conversations that began in the parking lot hadn't missed a beat. And those huddles started to feel more like cliques than packs. It was hard to join a conversation let alone introduce myself. Why ask, "What's your name?" when "How fast are you?" is pertinent?

A couple miles into the run and I determined that this pack was Boston-bound. Their pace was intense - a little too intense. Determined to ignore my Junior High insecurities, I decided to drop back to the next pace group. The long run was going to be difficult enough without feeling like I was the last person picked for the team.

It was a good decision. What a difference 30 seconds makes! Slower but friendlier. Much friendlier. Not too much slower, however. 60 minutes strong and we'd already logged 7 miles. Most of the group was planning on a 16 miler, but those who were completing shorter distances began to break off at that point. I hung in until Mile 10, and then I broke off to head back for a 14 mile finish.

Today's comraderie was great, but I also enjoyed my four mile solo finish at the end. It was an opportunity to re-focus and re-affirm why I lace up so often. Because even while part of a pack, running is still largely solitary. Only you can keep up with the pack. And only you who will take yourself across that finish line. In the meantime, it's always great to have some more fans in the stands and friends out on the playground.

8 comments:

walchka said...

I'm jealous you got to go on a group run. Mine was canceled because of the subzero temps.

Groups can be fun, supportive, and motivating, but like you said it's still you who has to make it happen.

Mike said...

Hi Nic,
Your blog is great- I would have to give it two thumbs up! Congrats on a solid 14 miler today. Lately I've been doing all of my runs solo although my ipod provides a nice distraction on the longer stuff...hmm, gotta find some group runs for a change of pace! Take care- M

Lan said...

Who are you running with? It was freezing yesterday! I thought my legs might freeze off during my first 5 minutes...

Spikey1 said...

Im not much of a "talker" when running so I just like to take it all in!

pookalu said...

when you used the word "conglomerate" i thought of my old baltimore roommate who used that word incorrectly ...she had meant to say "consolidate" (as in, for the leftovers of one of our meals)....

but anyway, nic, if you ever decide to do the NYC marathon, i'd be there in the stands for you!

Brooke said...

Sounds like a good run. There are no group runs in my area, so it's just me, the ipod and the dreadmill.

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... Since, as you know, I can't run anymore -- at least not until I get a new left knee -- my activity yesterday was to walk 15,000 steps in about 28-30 degree weather -- as per usual on the golf course! I was all by myself (I wonder why?) So based on all these comments, perhaps I should get an iPod for my solitary rounds of golf.

a.maria said...

i wish i could get into the whole running with a group thing.. i'm still too far back of the pack though.

sad.