Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Short List

It was one of the top 5 days of my life. (Naturally, I keep a record of these things.)

Brunch, Booze, and Birthday Cake. A celebration of my 25th birthday.
Being a total addict for both Sunday Brunch and birthdays, (mine in particular) I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate than with an all day brunch with everyone and everything in DC that I loved. 40 friends. Mom. Dad. Brother. 4 dozen eggs, 3 rounds of pancakes, 2 dozen bagels. Many many many mimosas. And Bloody Marys. And after the brunching hour, there was beer. Beer. Beer. Beer. And wine. I can't believe that there was also wine. I actually used to know the count of bottles consumed that afternoon, but I think I've blocked it out by now.

I remember standing on the steps at SKB's house that afternoon, looking out on all the people that had come to celebrate #25 with me. I remember watching my dad tell ridiculous stories to SKB. I remember MMG and CLG hanging out with my mom. And I remember AFS taking a genuine interest in my brother; I remember my brother actually opening up to her. And to me.

I have this picture from that day. We are all standing around the table about to sing Happy Birthday. We are all laughing and smiling. This picture is how I will always remember DC. A year ago, I could not have imagined that I would be spending birthday #26 on the other side of the country. Without a single person in that picture.

My roommates want to have a combined birthday party in a couple of weeks. And I'm preparing the list of people I would like to invite. I know it's only been six months, and that I shouldn't expect to have 40 names. But I didn't expect this guest list to be SO short!

However, one of the OTHER best days of my life was February 22, 1999. My 19th Birthday. My first brithday celebration at UVA. My first birthday with the core of those 40 amazing people whom I miss so much.

So yes, it's a short list. But it's the San Francisco Short List.

Let the Countdown to #26 begin! (14 days...)

7 comments:

running42k said...

19 is the drinking age in most of Canada (except Quebec where it is 18)

raine studios said...

We share a birthday :)

pookalu said...

the first day i was at UVA was my birthday. and then i found out that my next door neighbor (Kent, old dorms) had the exact same birthday.

Spikey1 said...

I wish I could CountDOWN my age sometimes! ;)

Jay said...

You're a kid! I'm justified in saying that since I'm a whole year older than you.

Katie said...

you know what's weird - I was in town that wknd and went to your party too.

I looked around the room and wanted to have such great friends like those! :)

Anonymous said...

Dad says ... What a great day that #25 booze and brunch party was ... almost as good as the night you were born -- when the USA beat Russia in the 1980 Olympic Hockey game -- the movie "Miracle" celebrated that night the way most Americans remember it ... but not your dad! Also, do you recall that Frank Sinatra was the first music you ever heard in the car on the way home from the hospital -- played on an 8-track player. Ahhhh, such memories!